The Where’s My Refund tool on the IRS website provides the most up-to-date information regarding the status of your refund. This tool is updated every 24 hours.
When you get your W-2, you can have your taxes prepared right away, but the IRS will not accept them before a pre-defined date.
The forms to prove employment may vary depending on individual situations. For most, an employer will provide a W-2 form. The self-employed (i.e. independent contractors, product sales representatives such as Mary Kay, etc.) should receive a 1099-MISC from the company.
You will need to file a Schedule C using IRS Form 1040. Depending on your type of business and where you conduct business, there may be other forms you will need. You may also need to make quarterly estimated payments by filing Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals.

Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your tax interview. A copy of this list, along with what to expect during your interview, can be downloaded in the Resource Center.

Date of Birth
Social Security Card /ITIN/ATIN
Last Year’s Tax Return
Valid Driver’s License

Interest (1099-INT or substitute)
Dividend Slips (1099-DIV or substitute)
Stock Sales (1099-B or Broker Statement)
Self-Employment Income and Expenses
Sale of a Personal Residence
Rental Income and Expenses
Sale of any Business Assets
Gambling or Lottery Winnings (W-2G for some winnings)
State Income Tax Refund (1099-G)
Pension Income (1099-R)
Estimated Taxes Paid
Social Security or Railroad Retirement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099)
IRA or 401(k) Distribution (1099-R)
Unemployment Compensation (1099-G)
Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC)

Medical Expenses
Real Estate or Personal Property Taxes
Mortgage Interest
Charitable Contributions (cash and non-cash)
Employee Business Expenses
Gambling Losses
Moving Expenses
Traditional IRA Contributions
Higher Education Expenses
Educator Expenses
Student Loan Interest

Child Care Provider/Address and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
Adoption Expenses
Retirement Savings Contributions Credit

Since it is not a small change (missing form or math miscalculation), missed income probably requires that you file an amendment. You’ll need to file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on paper; no e-filing here. Additionally, if any changes you are making need forms or schedules attached, make sure you do so.

Don’t panic, you have three years since the date of filing or two years from paying (whichever is later) to correct the issue. But note, if your amended return claims more refund money, go ahead and cash your original refund check – no need to wait the average 12 weeks it takes to process your amended return. However, if your amended return shows you owe, you’ll want to lower fees and interest by paying those taxes as fast as you can.

You can then track the status of your amended tax return(s) with the IRS’s ‘Where’s My Amended Return’ tool. Check the IRS’s site about three weeks after you’ve mailed your amended return or call 866-464-2050.

If your divorce is not final, you may choose to file married filing jointly. Just note, that you and your spouse are responsible for the tax bill and any future audits.

If you are approved for the Advance, your tax preparer will print a check for the Advance in their tax office for you to pick up.

A decision on your Advance approval will be available within 24 hours of IRS Acknowledgment, Check with your tax preparer to see if your Advance check is ready before going to pick it up.

You could be approved from $500-$6000 for your cash Advance.

Lower advance amount for (No Interest)
Higher advance amount with interest charge
$1250-$6000 Up to 75% of Expected Tax Return @ 36% APR

We look at certain indicators in the tax return to determine if you will be approved for the Advance and the amount that you will be approved for. There is no credit check run.

The Advance is repaid by being automatically deducted from your IRS or State tax refund proceeds.

If you owe past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or certain federal nontax debts, such as student loans, all or part of your refund may be used (offset) to pay the past-due amount. Offsets for federal taxes are made by the IRS. All other offsets are made by the Treasury Department’s Bureau of Fiscal Services (BFS). For federal tax offsets, you will receive a notice from the IRS. For all other offsets, you will receive a notice from BFS. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have any questions about it, contact the agency to which you owe the debt. See Tax Topic 203 for more information about refund offsets.

Calling us will not speed up your refund. Our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of your refund if it has been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return, or Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us. If we need more information to process your tax return, we will contact you by mail. Otherwise Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. Use the IRS2Go mobile app or use the Where’s My Refund? tool. Both are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Be careful not to count on getting your refund by a certain date to make major purchases or pay other financial obligations. Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after we receive it for processing. Even though we issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer. Also, if you are anticipating a refund, take into consideration the time it takes for your financial institution to post the refund to your account, or for mail delivery.

The IRS works hard to issue refunds as quickly as possible, but some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

includes errors,

is incomplete,

needs further review,

is impacted by identity theft or fraud,

includes Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process.

If The IRS need more information to process your tax return, IRS will contact you by mail. NEVER by PHONE

IRS representatives can only research the status of your return if it’s been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than six weeks since you mailed your paper return, or if Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact the IRS. Their general telephone number is 1-800-829-1040. However, given our limited resources, our phone lines are going to be extremely busy this year – and there will frequently be extensive wait times.

Schedule A Free Consultation

Schedule an Appointment